Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Moving FOWARD!

Well, here we are and we're moving forward!  Monday brought on another check up appointment to see how things were going aka growing!  Once again, the ultrasound showed a lot of follicles.  Unfortunately, after the nurse took the measurements of the follicles they were smaller than where they need to be for retrieval.  The follicles were around what they call size 16 and they needed to be size 18.  The nurse came back into the room and said she would call me later in the afternoon with the plan for the next step due to the size of the follicles.  Basically, the clinic needed to look at the blood work test results before making a decision.  A phone call back from the nurse scared me half to death!  The nurse said that my estrogen level was at 5037 (While this number is not helpful as I don't know what a normal reading would be, that does seem like a LARGE number.  One reason for my levels being high is that each one of the follicles contain estrogen, so my overabundant ovaries created a high level of estrogen.).  The nurse said that a trigger shot could not be prescribed to someone who's level is that high.  What she said and what I heard were two different things!  I had a momentary scare and what I heard was that my estrogen level was too high... and it was alllllll over with.  When in reality, I just allowed my mind to unravel and not really comprehend what she said.  Momentary lapse but wow did that scare me!  With the combination of my follicles not being big enough and my estrogen level so high, the next step was to change up my medications.

A trip to my favorite pharmacy Bauder's was the next step after work!  I was told to reduce my dose of Repronex to only one vial of power to 1 cc of liquid, not to take Lupron or the Follistem pen and I was also prescribed Ganirelix.  Ganirelix basically does the same thing as Lupron, but must pack some sort of different punch!  I looked online to see if I could find a difference between the two, but not such luck.  Both of those drugs stop the production of two hormones (LH & FSH) that are created by the pituitary glad.  So, from my understanding this drug is needed to prevent the release of the follicles before the follicles are at appropriate size.  Ganirelix was another mad scientist drug!  The syringe was preloaded with liquid and all I had to do was inject the liquid into the powder vial and draw the liquid back into the syringe, switch to a smaller needle, and inject.  Pictured below is the Ganirelix.



Yes, indeed I did mention that I love this pharmacy.  My favorite pharmacist Kim was working and she remembered my name.  Now to give her credit I am sure that the clinic called and told her that I needed this drug, but she still had to put a face with a name!  She described how to mix and inject, but let's be honest... I'm pretty much a pro now.  On my way out of the pharmacy she remembered last time and bought me that malt, so I did indulge... delicious!

My encouragement had slipped a little due to yesterday's results.  Today, I had another blood draw and ultrasound.  I geared up once again and went to the clinic to be attacked by the blood stealing vampire!  I will have to say that I thought the follicles looked bigger today on the ultrasound.  However, after taking measurements the nurse said she only saw one that was size 18, with others close.  I was instantly discouraged as I was hoping to get this retrieval going as soon as possible!  I guess I am just really excited to continue on this journey!  When the nurse came back into the room she said I was right on the verge of going ahead or waiting another day.  I was left to wait until she called me back this afternoon.  Now when I went into this appointment I told her that she needed to tell me some good news - that was her job today.  This afternoon she finally gave me that good news!  She said that the doctor had approved me for the GO AHEAD!

Onward to Bauder's Pharmacy once again!  When I told Mark, the other pharmacist and Kim's brother, that I needed to pick up my trigger shot, Kim spoke up.  She said she was hoping that was what I was there to pick up the trigger!  Kinda nice to have someone who doesn't know you, be excited for you!  Tonight at 7:00 is when I was told to take the trigger shot... OKAY who was the genius who called this the trigger SHOT?  Well damn there are two shots...they need to change that to trigger SHOTS!  Here are the trigger shots of Ovidrel.
 

Ovidrel is a hormone that causes the expulsion of the egg from the follicle.  This drug is typically given 34-36 hours before the retrieval process.  Therefore, the retrieval will officially be Thursday morning.  I am to arrive at the clinic by 7:45.  I am officially done with needles until after the transfer which is scheduled for Tuesday!!!!!  After the transfer I start progesterone shots - yikes.  I cannot believe how far we've come since the day we first saw my IVF calendar.  I'm just so happy that things are starting to come together!  Happy more like ecstatic that we're MOVING FORWARD!

Update on Thursday!
ALJ

No comments:

Post a Comment