Saturday, January 28, 2012

Lumberjack?

Two weeks ago today, almost this exact point in time, I smashed my thumb! Yuckkkk. Life sure has been challenging to operate with one hand! You really do not know how much you depend on your dominant hand and a thumb to do pretty much every daily task imaginable. Tasks have gotten much easier as of lately due to less pain and sensitivity in my thumb. Still, tasks such as brushing my teeth, opening bottles, doing anything with my hair, starting my truck, putting on a seat belt, and one last one...pulling up my pants after going to the bathroom :) are a daily struggle!! Those of you who really know me, know that on an average day I'm not very fast in the showering department. So, you can imagine how much longer this takes with my left hand only and my right hand covered in a gallon sized ziploc bag. Again, I am significantly experiencing less pain, but now my only complaint is that the thumb gets so hot and itchy! The extra dressing keeps my thumb even warmer !! I have an appointment on Tuesday (1/31/12 - cannot believe that time is flying so fast that February is almost here!) to get this dressing off my thumb. I am a little nervous to see what my thumb will look like and if I will experience pain when they remove the dressing. I am also anxious to find out if I will have to keep a dressing on my thumb, a splint of some sort, or if I can let the thing go freeeeee and wild?

I mentioned that life has been challenging, but really in the grand scheme of things my life is pretty much blessed. I have great support from family, friends, and best of all my husband. This has really hit home in the last week or so when I got the news that a brave little boy lost his fight with cancer. To learn more about Eli Horn visit his website: http://www.elihorn.com/blog/. Eli was the grandson of one of our "rural neighbors" living only a 2 miles from Corey's parent's house and our house as well as a friend of my mother. Mom and Janice have known each other from their time at the University of Iowa - nursing. Eli was a brave and courageous boy that we should all take inspiration from.

Last update I mentioned that C would be having some blood-work and potentially genetic testing. The blood work test results came back and his hormone levels are A-OK. I spoke with Dr. Young and at this time he really didn't think that genetic testing was necessary. I had the appointment for the HSG (hysterosalpinogram) test, which everything looked normal. The dr. was able to tell me the results almost instantly. I had a funny moment during this exam though. Obviously something is wrong with my thumb based on the dressing and wrap. I have had multiple looks and questions. When I explain how my thumb got injured, there are a few who have no idea what a log splitter is or how it would be used. However, at this HSG test the nurse was trying to make small talk, which is fine, but after I explained what happened to my thumb, this is how the conversation went. Amber - " I smashed my thumb in a log splitter, broke the tip bone, and had to have surgery to repair a laceration." Nurse - "Ohh dear, that sounds terrible. Is this what you do for work?" Uhhhhhh - Seriously lady... no... I am not a LUMBERJACK....

Anywho, when I spoke with Dr. Young about C's blood-work, I told him about the results of my HSG test. He mentioned that from here we would basically need to start going into the in vitro process. He told me to call back when I started my cycle. I told him that was all fine and dandy, however, my last 2 cycle's had to be induced by taking progesterone pills. He told me to stop by and pick up an in vitro check sheet, and a prescription for the progesterone. The check sheet basically is a map of what we need to do to get the process started. First step was to talk to their financial department to get all of the insurance things figured out as most insurance companies will require prior approval before providing coverage. The checklist also contained a coupe more tests to complete and sign up for a couples learning session. I am sure C is just definitely looking forward to this... bahahah :) !!!

I am assuming I will have another test once my cycle starts, so this is our next direction and will most likely be my next update. Until then, thumbs up for a few more days...

Love,
ALJ

No comments:

Post a Comment